martes, 29 de marzo de 2016

Interview: Foreign Television (English)


 

1-how long have you been working together and who are the members of the band?

It's actually a one-man band. My name is Francis Allen and I write and record the songs.

2-This is your first album?

Yeah, it's the first Foreign Television album. I used to record instrumental music under the name 'Snowmobile', but the new sound and the addition of vocals called for a change of name. 

3-Your album its very good, what are your influences?

Thanks a lot! I'm sure there are a lot influences mixed together on this album. In the last few years I've been listening to a lot of stuff by Mark Kozelek, Bruce Springsteen, James Taylor, Radiohead, Mew, Smashing Pumpkins...I've stolen from all of them!
4-in general terms, what are the topics of the lyrics?

That's a difficult question, but I think a lot of the lyrics are about dealing with the fact that time passes and things change. Some about how we remember, how we forget, what we consider to be important and uncertainty about the future. All the fun stuff.

 

5-Do you believe in maintain a style of composition over time or you are open to new changes?

I'm absolutely open to changes and new ideas if they happen naturally. There's no reason to commit to just one style, but at the same time I wouldn't force any big stylistic changes just for the sake of it. I've got some ideas for songs for the next release but I have no idea how they're going to turn out, so I'm looking forward to working on them.


6-this is a game:

I will choose two songs and I want you to talk about them, main concept? what memories they bring to you? everything that comes to your mind.
Do the same but you have to choose 2 songs.

I choose

A-Worlds you drift through 

I wrote and recorded it all in one go and didn't really change it at all after the first recording. Usually I record a demo of the music and then some vocals just to have an idea of a vocal melody, but on this one I was happy with how it turned out when it was only meant to be a demo. The song is about how easily people fade in and then fade out of your life. It's a sad one, but it might be my favourite song on the album. 

B-Beach

I hope it makes a good album closer. I needed to finish the album with something positive and, lyrically, I think it's probably the most positive song on the album, along with 'Rollerblades'. I thought i'd finished the song about a year ago, but when I went back to it I felt it was missing something, so I added the outro and was finally able to call the album complete.

Do you choose?

C- Misremember

It's a pop song! 'Misremember' is about how dangerous it can be to live in the past and think that your best years are behind you. Everyone does it to some extent, and glorifies how things were, but it's probably not a healthy thing to do. Some of the other songs on the album have idealised visions of the past, this song is the opposite of them. 

D- Olympic Christie

The synth part came from me messing around trying to cover some catchy R'n'B song i'd heard. I forgot the cover and started building the song around the synth. I think it was the first song that I had added vocals to. I knew I liked it enough for other people to hear it and so I decided to record vocals on other new tracks that I had. I owe the birth of Foreign Television to this song. 

7-How long it took to record the album and where it was recorded?

It took about two and a half years. I recorded demos of 'Olympic Christie' and 'Rented World' sometime in early 2011 and the album was still being worked on until October 2013! I started recording it at home, in Wales, but most of the album was recorded here in Moscow.

8-What are your goals in a short and long term?

For a long time the goal was just to make an album that I could be proud of. It feels good to have finished it after all this time and not hate it! Of course I want as many people to hear the album as possible, but as for long term goals, I just want to keep making music I enjoy.

9-how do you feel to know that your album comes to Spanish language countries?
Asombroso! The idea of people in Argentina listening to Foreign Television is incredible, so thanks to the internet and thanks to you for spreading the word! 


10-Do you prefer to play small places or large festivals?

I need to put a live band together first, but I would love to do both of those things. 


11-last game, if you could invite a famous musician to record with you, who will be and why?

There are so many possibilities, but to answer this question with anyone other than Bruce Springsteen feels wrong. The Boss it is! I went to watch him live in Cardiff last summer and the concert was so good it was almost confusing. The man is a machine!


Nota realizada por: Ariel Fernández
Fotos: Pagina web de de la banda.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Nota: solo los miembros de este blog pueden publicar comentarios.